Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chapter 1: Step 1

I’m feeling good right now and, funnily enough, this blog has contributed. Organizing my thoughts, listing out my issues, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats,... (SWOT for all Marketers)… Makes me realize how things actually are. That is, from an outside point of view, rather than my own critical angle. This week, I’m more aware of my strengths than I was last week.

I had to face several issues head-on this weekend. And I must say, the conflict was liberating. Unbeknownst to me at the time, facing these issues reinstated my belief in self. I have great instincts; they should be granted more decision-making power. I won’t neglect them again. I vow, wholehearted instinct following in future endeavors.

Although the issues I dealt with had little to do with my education or my future career, having my instincts and what I know questioned and proven correct, truly restored my sense of confidence. This weekend I realized, I know what I’m doing.

As if by fate, the direction I was searching for delivered itself in the form of a few confrontations in which, whether victor or not, I came out stronger on the inside.
Faith in self. I’m realizing more and more that although I initially search for support from family and friends, I should take a breather and remember who I am and what I have to offer.

As I mentioned in the Prelude, my first week of school dealt me some blows. Many of which had to be dealt in order for me to realize where I stand and what steps to take next. I’ve felt deflated by my marketing peers who seem so directed and aware of what path they intend to follow as I am unsure and my path will most likely be unconventional. This has caused me some shame unfortunately. I’m ashamed to admit my shame as I am a true advocate of individuality and self-expression. You would think that I would embrace my differences, thrive from them and encourage their development. However, thank the higher power for my weekend disputes and the emotional stability they granted me. As unconventional as my path may be, it will be mine.

The decisions I make are the right ones for me, I feel solidified in that fact now.

In an effort to prove to myself that I am growing as an individual and taking concrete steps towards my goals (numerated in Prelude), I will attempt a weekly listing of my cultivating activities...

Week 1 STEPS (Let the marketing group work, artistic endeavors and exploration begin):

- Debate style Food Marketing presentation preparation
- Consider and add qualifications/added value/artistic assets to CV
- Self-portrait on photoshop (Erin as a Tree, Being of Growth)
- Photos of landscape and bedroom for Studio Art Class (Photographic evidence to follow)
- Singing class! Belt it out! VOCALIZE!
- Critical analysis, evaluation and contemplation of case for Strategic Marketing Planning
- Personalized greeting cards to celebrate my loved ones' achievements, birthdays and a special anniversary (Many reasons to celebrate this week!)
- Explore ways to gain insight into my sixth sense. I'm not crazy people, I have had several concrete ESP moments this week...


Cheers to me being me and you being you.

2 comments:

  1. I must say, this post is kind of food for my soul. Aside from the academic side of this, the topic you touched on is one that I ponder more often than not. Allowing yourself to trust your instincts is, in my opinion far easier said than done...I'm still working on doing it. It's refreshing to know that it is possible and more probable than I had originally thought to just go for it and see what happens. So thanks Eebs Berenstein...if that is your real name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely not crazy! You'll be happy to know that "seeing" [being "fey"] is part of your heritage...the Western highlands of Scotland are associated with this phenomenon! Ask Grandma about her mother. I suspect that Grandma is also fey. I listen and I hear many things; sometimes it is my unconsious speaking [got to be careful of that...since I am a 'fraidy cat.]. I have a theory, though. I think that ideas, thoughts, images, and so on, travel - just as soundwaves do. The tarot cards - btw - are a ruse...they just create a space where I can say what I already heard...don't tell my patrons - I would hate to have the good name of Madame Charlatan sullied!

    ReplyDelete