Monday, March 12, 2012

The new-age CAT LADY.

Oh, you haven't heard? It's cool to be a cat lady again, in fact, it's chic. Been sketching a lot about the modern, Montreal woman, in her many facets. Well, the sketches are more representations of myself, I guess. But they're coming out interesting and beautiful and full of narrative (which is something I've had difficulty with in the past when sketching). I will be doing a series of these I believe... I'll keep you posted.

I've been drawing a large/intricate/detailed sketch a day. It's been keeping me centered and allows me to focus my thoughts and keep my vision aligned towards creativity. It's also helped me realize the positivity in letting go while creating and just trusting myself for the next step. This becomes easier and easier the more I draw and more I allow myself creative freedom and guiltless lines (ie. drawing before planning, just doing it, not worrying).

This notion of letting-go really comes through as I bring the drawings I've made into photoshop. It's all about playing around and seeing what works. 




Le Catnap - C'est Rich

This is a great example of a few elements of design that are essential for me when creating: Texture (created using a few scans of really nice paper that I recently purchased), Contrast (lines in hair, title, central point of focus), Colour coordination (love me some turquoise but especially love it when it's next to a sanguine), Strong lines (see for yourself). Oh, and as an added bonus, my new favorite element: Typo.

Hope you enjoy it - I LOVED making this piece. Stay tuned for the next installment of the Modern Montreal Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment