Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A few observations short of a socially intelligent being

Disclaimer: There's really no point to this blog post other than to vent (without naming names) of those close to me who truly lack awareness of their social impact.

What makes someone socially intelligent? Is it part of their genetic make-up? Is it their parents' influence? Is it their ability to observe?

What makes some socially unintelligent (The S.U.'s of our society)? I've been thinking about this one alot lately. Recently I've come in contact with a wide array of socially inept - from the forgivable loud walkers to the punishable biggots. The open-mouthed chewers, the young kids with their music blasting in the metro, the middle-aged who feel justified and attempt to embarrass the up-and-comers around them (jaded nurses, professors, that one woman who constantly walks into classes at Interdec College), people who invade others' space with their negativity; the list goes on and on.

Evidently, I'm a little annoyed about all this S.U. behaviour. Frankly, it irritates me to the point of altering my good moods. (I know this is something I need to learn to externalize).

I blame it on being observant. I notice the faces, postures, groans, retorts of those who have been in the presence of someone who is S.U. To be honest, there are times that I'd rather not notice it at all, I would be a much less annoyed individual and I would not be so privy to the awkwardness of certain interactions around me. However... let's face it, much better to be aware! I'll take the ability to observe over being selfish and inconsiderate, any day!

And to those around me who have irritated classrooms, metro cars and friends with their selfish behaviour, I say: open your eyes! You are negatively impacting the people around you!!

Rant over.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely feel the same about how so many people have gotten so used to the way society treats/refers to women as inferior (not to mention the constant objectification). Why do people put up with this? Seriously, open your eyes! I see it, hear about it, read about it and think about it every day and it amazes me how so many people are oblivious! I agree with you in the sense that it's easier to be oblivious in a way...getting fired up about something takes time, energy and sometimes results in you feeling like the odd one out.

    Recent example: This years Oscars, as the credits roll the narrator says "stay tuned for Jimmy Kimmel with special guest Tom Hanks and some of hollywoods hottest women such as Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria, Kelly Ripa, and Sofia Vergara.

    ....Really!!???

    -GB

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wide array of socially unintelligent behaviour is astounding and definitely infurating. And I completely agree: getting fired up does take serious energy and time... and it takes away from me enjoying my surroundings. That's the thing about people who are socially inept, they are oblivious to their impact on the world around them.

    I heard about this Jimmy Kimmel thing...A bunch of sexualized women bouncing around or doing aerobics or something? it was posted all over fb by a bunch of guys. I didn't watch it though- did you?


    SO SO SO happy to get a blog comment btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to comment! & no I didn't watch, the intro alone completely turned me off!

    ReplyDelete