Monday, February 28, 2011

Moleskin Retrospective - Journal #2

So, as I've indicated, this project is taking up a great deal of time... It's a huge piece of work. I'm submitting the website for my web design class this week but it's definitely a diluted version of what the final one will be.

For the diluted website, I chose only 3 entries from my journal to indicate major moments throughout the trip... May 10: Our first drawing class and the sense of settling into our Italian life; May 17: The Pugnalone Festival, the sun finally comes out, the group joy, inner-tensions with certain group members; and May 27: A stop in Orvieto before Florence, We are in heaven, I am more content than I've ever been.

In the larger website that I'm envisioning, all entries will be compiled along with the sketches of the day, things I picked up, pictures I took,... It will truly demonstrate the day to day of our drawing trip.

Here's journal entry #2 from the smaller site...

May 17 -
Yesterday was incredible. Finally a little sun, heat, energy, balance, positivity.

Needed to be away from the roommates and the regular people. Went to the city with Eliza and Sophie. The Pugnalones were displayed in the piazza. Beautiful colours and breath-taking artistry. So much more than I expected it to be. Art made from nature, petals, leaves, dirt, bark… Enjoyed a delicious pastry and caffe latte. Why does everything taste so much better here? Maybe it’s the lack of stress, the increased focus on my senses.

I’m enjoying things from all angles, all aspects.

We sat in an arch looking out over the piazza and sketched. The piazza slowly filled with people as they prepared for the festival to begin. The procession was led by drummers and brass. It filled my heart and my body was beating along with the rhythm. Flag throwers, amazing costumes, pride, culture, belonging, family, heritage. INCREDIBLE. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

The other girls and I were all buzzing from the passion, crowd, dedication of the performers and village.

The festival lasted a few hours but I could have sat in that crowd for days.

The Pugnalones were walked back into the piazza… shortly followed by the Virgin Mary and another band, more somber music but so fitting.

As she was carried by, ppl “crossed” themselves and fell in walking behind her. So much belief and culture. I was part of something so big and so deep. I felt incredibly privileged and was reeling from the excitement all night.

Two of the teams had dinner at Buonhumore. The energy was everywhere – cheers, yells, beats, smiles, yelling, laughing! So amazing! We sat at our table amidst it all and joined in to the beating. We were again, incredibly privileged and welcomed into this amazingly rich community experience. We drank LOTS of wine, maybe too much… We were invited to the piazza for the “younger” team members’ post-Pugnalone congregation/celebration.

SO MUCH ENERGY! SO MUCH EXCITEMENT AND SO MUCH HISTORY. We Canadians laughed and joined in as much as we could. Amazing day.

My eyes and soul are open to Acquapendente. The people and their traditions are incredible.

Woke up far too spinny and hungover… many dreams of Sophie. She’s so amazing and so real. Compassionate and empathetic aswell. Qualities I need to work on in myself.

We went to Bolsena and drew from the main piazza, the medieval town and the archway that leads into it.

I feel the progression in my art. Learning to feel less frustrated with inaccuracy and lack of precision and enjoying it for what it is. It always ends up more interesting when I abandon what I’m doing. I’ll never be able to more forward and develop unless I do.

Some people are starting to drive me a little crazy. Forming opinions of ppl that I know will eventually be revealed to them. I’m opinionated and don’t give a shit. If I hear/see something I don’t like, I’m going to say it.

I’m coming to that limit with certain people. Annoyed with their lack of consideration, lack of passion w/ class and Michele and their lack of willingness to let go of old habits and allow this experience in. I need to say something to them because their negativity is starting to affect my experience…

Maybe this in an opportunity for me to learn how to disconnect from ppl around me and their emotions.

Focus on my drawing, an open mind, soaking up the experience and focus on not allowing others' downers to bring me down.


A sketch of the crowd waiting for the Pugnalone Festival to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment